Monday, January 28, 2013

Little Artists Loving Abstract Art!


   Ever been so excited to share something that you could not wait until you found that spare moment in your day when you can blog about it?
   Well I had one of those days today!
   My little preschool munchkins are preparing for an Art Show this week! 
   As soon as my director told me about this event, I was online looking up some awesome art ideas for my kiddos to do. Last year, I gave my preschoolers some art experiences focused around Michaelangelo and Da Vinci.
   Seeing that this year, I have a few kiddos who are hesitant to do artwork because they feel they can never do it “right” – even though I always try to leave art open ended. Anyhow, I know they needed something that they could all feel successful with. 
   And what better way to do it than with Abstract Art!
  One of my favorite abstract artists is wassily Kandinsky. Last week we learned a little about him and I briefly tried my best to explain the concept of abstract art and explained that in Abstract Art, you can never make a mistake!!
  I showed them a picture of Kandinsy’s “Concentric Circles” Painting. They noted that he had painted all circles AND that it looked cool. Then I told them that it was their turn to paint some cool circles!


   This past Sunday, when I was able to finally drag myself out of the house, I took a trip to Michaels to find supplies for our next art project. Since this is an Art Show, I want to make it special for the kids and want to have them create a piece of artwork that would last and that parents could display for years to come!
   And well, being me,I want to do something different and have my kiddos' artwork stand out among all the rest! 
(I just have that in me to stand out and do things differently...some could see it as a bad thing and call me a show off. BUt who cares right?)
   So I decided to splurge and buy some thin and small 6x8 canvases (which came in a 5 pack for 5.99 but was cheaper with my Educator discount) and some .69 vibrant acrylic paints-- cuz you know, washable tempera paint gets boring!

   The first thing I did was instruct the kiddos on how to secure masking tape onto the canvas and then I gave each one a few strips and allowed them to put the tape on in whichever way they wanted.

   Then I put out some small containers filled with paint and gave directions to paint the shapes they made with the tape.

   I loved it so much I knew my little one would enjoy it too.
   So while I was cooking dinner, I put her to work!

    After making one, she wanted to do another. I think she got a little carried away the second time around!

   After she was done painting, we let both of them dry. Acrylic paint is awesome because it does not take very long to dry.
   And TA-DA!! 
BEAUTIFUL ABSTRACT ART!!
   Check out that smile on her face!!
   
   In doing all of this and seeing little faces light up as they admire their work, makes my heart smile. 
   It is SO Much FUN to give kiddos these types of art experiences and expose them to different types of art.

   ** Sorry, I will not post the end products of my preschoolers masterpieces until the day of the Art Show.**

So, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment